Ways to add value
Types of value
Value is stored on your Clipper® card in one of three ways:
- Passes and ride books: Passes and ride books stored on your Clipper card (such as a Muni or Caltrain Monthly Pass, or an AC Transit 31-day pass) work the same way as the paper versions.
- Clipper Cash: You can use Clipper Cash to pay your fare on any participating transit system. Golden Gate Transit and Ferry only accept Clipper Cash, but customers will always receive the Ride Value or Frequent Ferry Rider discount when using Clipper Cash.
- BART High Value Discount (HVD): HVD is available in two denominations, $48 of value for $45 or $64 of value for $60. You can purchase BART HVD tickets with Clipper Autoload or through many transit benefits programs. BART customers can also use Clipper Cash to pay their fare.
Passes and ride books, High Value Discount tickets and Clipper Cash are stored separately on your card and are not interchangeable once loaded onto your card. For instance, if you add Clipper Cash to your card, you cannot use it to purchase a monthly pass. Alternately, a transit pass on your card cannot be exchanged for an equivalent amount of Clipper Cash.
When adding value to your Clipper card, choose the combination of passes, tickets or Clipper Cash that suits your needs. To find out which passes, tickets and ride books are available by individual transit provider, click here.
You can add value in several ways. Value added in person is available instantly, while it may take up to 3-5 days for value added online or over the phone to be available.
- Online at clippercard.com - available within 3-5 days
- Automatically - by setting up Autoload online at clippercard.com
- Over the phone - by calling 877.878.8883 - available within 3-5 days
- In person - at participating retailers, participating transit agencies' ticket vending machines and ticket offices, Clipper Customer Service Centers, and Clipper Add Value Machines (click here for locations) - available immediately
- At work - through your employee transit benefit program- if ordered online, available by the first day of the benefit month
Why does it take 3-5 days for value to be available? When you add a pass or cash through the website or by calling the Customer Service Center or set up Autoload for the first time, it can take 3-5 days before the value is available to be added to your card. This is because the pass or cash that you add to your card is stored directly on your card, not on a server. Adding a pass or cash to your card through the website or over the phone means that the information about your order needs to be batched up and sent out to the devices (card readers, fare gates, Clipper Add Value or ticket machines) located at each station and/or bus yard. In the case of the bus yards, it is then transmitted to the card readers on each bus individually at the end of each day. Once this process is complete, the next time you use your card, the card reader will load the value to your card, where it is then stored for use.
If you need value added to your card right away, you can add value at a retailer, ticket office or Clipper Add Value or ticket machine. When you add value at these locations, the value is loaded onto your card at that time, and available for use immediately. Another option is to set up Autoload so that your chosen pass or cash amount will reload every time your pass expires or your cash balance drops below $10.
*Value that is added online or over the phone is added to your card the first time you use your card (after the value is available) by touching it to a card reader. The same is true when you set up Autoload. At that time, your card's balance will also be updated to reflect the value added.
Autoload is the fastest and easiest way to ensure you'll always have value on your Clipper card. Link your card to a credit card, transit benefit debit card or bank account, and whenever your cash balance falls below $10 or your pass expires, the pre-set value will be automatically added to your card.