Ways to add value
Let Clip the Clipper card tell you about all the ways to add value!
Types of value
Clipper stores four types of value:
- Cash value: Accepted on all participating transit agencies.
- Passes: Monthly passes, passes or tickets good on specific transit agencies.
- BART High Value Discount (HVD) ticket: Available in two denominations - $48 of value for $45 or $64 of value for $60 - and only available through Autoload or transit benefit programs. BART riders can also use cash value to pay their fare.
- Parking value: Accepted at participating garages in San Francisco.
Cash value, passes, BART HVD tickets and parking value are not interchangeable once loaded onto your card.
You can add value:
- Online at clippercard.com
- Automatically – by setting up Autoload at clippercard.com
- Over the phone – by calling 877.878.8883
- In person – at participating retailers, transit agency ticket machines and ticket offices, Clipper Customer Service Centers, and Clipper Add Value machines (click here for locations)
- At work – through your employee transit benefit program
When will my value be available?
If you add value to your card at a retailer, Clipper Customer Service Center, ticket office, ticket machine or Clipper Add Value Machine, your value is immediately available to use.
When you add value to your Clipper card either online or over the phone, your value will not be available immediately. Once the value is available, you must tag your card to a card reader to load the value. Your card balance will not be updated until you have tagged your card and loaded the value.
- If you place your order by 6 p.m., you can usually pick up your value in the next 1 to 2 days.
- If you are picking up your value on a bus or a Muni light-rail vehicle, please allow up to 5 days.
- If you are setting up Autoload with a bank account, please allow an additional 10 days for value to first be available.
Autoload is the fastest and easiest way to ensure you'll always have value on your Clipper card. Link your card to a credit card, transit benefit debit card or bank account, and Clipper will automatically reload your card with the pre-set value whenever your cash balance falls below $10 or your pass expires, the pre-set value. Set up Autoload.