Fares and passes
You can use a monthly pass or cash value on a Clipper card. Passengers with a Youth, Senior or RTC Clipper card are eligible for discounted fares. To determine the best value for you, visit SamTrans for detailed fare information.
Monthly passes are available for purchase starting on the 21st day of the previous month through the 15th of the pass month (for example, you can purchase a July pass from June 21 through July 15). Monthly passes purchased on or after the 21st of the month are valid for the following month only.
- Local Monthly Pass - for use by adult customers on any local route and routes ECR, KX, 292 and 397 within San Mateo County and to Palo Alto
- Local/SF Monthly Pass - for use by adult customers on any route, including routes 292, 397 and KX when traveling out of San Francisco
- Eligible Discount Monthly Pass - for use by senior and RTC customers on any route
- Youth Monthly Pass - for use by youth customers age 18 years and younger on any route
Adult riders with a Local Monthly Pass can use the cash value on their Clipper cards to pay an upgrade on routes 292, 397 and KX when traveling out of San Francisco. You cannot pay fare upgrades to the driver. If you do not have enough cash value on your Clipper card to pay the upgrade fee, you will be required to pay the entire cost of the ride with cash. You do not have to pay an upgrade with a Local Monthly Pass when traveling to San Francisco.
Other Passes Accepted
SamTrans also accepts the following passes from other transit agencies on Clipper as payment for local routes:
- Caltrain Monthly Pass valid for travel within two or more zones (one or more zones for senior/disabled riders)
- AC Transit local or transbay 31-day pass (within 2 hours of first boarding AC Transit or Dumbarton Express)
- VTA monthly pass (within 2 hours of boarding VTA)